Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Shane Warne has apologised Michael Clarke after causing a media flurry


Shane Warne has apologised to Australia test skipper Michael Clarke after causing a media flurry about a potential Ashes test comeback.

"Pick me to take on the Poms," was the headline in the Sydney Daily Telegraph after 43-year-old Warne told News Ltd he had no doubt he could succeed at test level again.

Australia's record wicket taker said his family life came first these days but indicated he'd consider a comeback if close friend Clarke asked him.

"If your best friend says, 'Mate, I want you to seriously consider making a commitment to Australian cricket and coming back out of retirement', (to) make myself available for selection, that's a different scenario," Warne said.

However, Warne downplayed his comments on Wednesday.

"Clarification guys & thankyou for the kind words, but... I was asked 'could' I play not 'would' I play..yes, I could..didn't say I would!" Warne said on Twitter.

"It was a hypothetical question re if Michael Clarke asked me... Read my quotes "I'm not asking Michael to ask me" Hope I didn't disappoint !"

"Sorry MClarke23 if you woke up to calls! See you soon buddy...."

In his interview on Tuesday, Warne said he didn't think his form would be a concern if he were to make a comeback.

"It's just the time and actually making that commitment again," said Warne, who remains the biggest name in Australian cricket and is captaining Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League Twenty20 competition which starts on Friday.

"My kids are turning 16, 14 and 12 next year and we're juggling two continents, (wife-to-be) Elizabeth's (Hurley) work and my work commitments."

Warne, who retired from test cricket in January 2007 and has 195 Ashes wickets in 36 tests at an average of 23.25, says he has a busy schedule with business commitments and charity work.

"That's the reason I haven't for a while said I'm gonna make a comeback."

No comments:

Post a Comment