Tuesday, August 28, 2012

'SLPL experience can help players'


The Bangladesh vice-captain Mahmudullah Riyad believes that playing in the ongoing Sri Lanka Premier (SLPL) will help the players when it comes to taking part in the ICC World Twenty20 to be held in Sri Lanka from September 18.
“It was a good experience to play in the SLPL. I missed the first Eid with my baby but as a professional cricketer it's my duty because it's the bread and butter for me.

“The opportunity suddenly came to me and I grabbed it without any hesitation. We have got the opportunity to have the experience with the conditions ahead of the World Cup which will help us,” opined Riyad while talking with the reporters after training at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur yesterday.
The all-rounder played for Basnahira Cricket Dundee and was successful with his bowling taking four wickets from two matches.
Bangladesh has been placed in Group D along with New Zealand and Pakistan in the ICC World Twenty20. The Tigers will take on New Zealand on September 21 before meeting Pakistan on September 25. Both matches will be played at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium.
“When we met in Colombo we talked about the wicket and the conditions and I also want to share my experience with my other teammates. Mushfiq (Mushfiqur Rahim) is expected to join us very soon and then we can all have a discussion on how the pitch is going to look and behave,” said Riyad.
“Bowling wise I am happy and feel that it was quite good, but batting wise I could do much better. I think in the wicket in Palkelle suited both pacers and spinners while it was a bit difficult to bat there. There you have to take a bit of time,” he observed.
The Bangladesh vice-captain was hopeful about his side's chance in the World Cup. “We have a balanced bowling attack which will help us to do well in Pallekele. Hopefully we will be able to do something good over there,” said Riyad.
When asked about the standard of the SLPL, Riyad said: “I had a similar experience in the BPL as there were also international players. My teammates were very helpful. The intensity was good but not as much as in the BPL.”
Bangladesh are going to play a T20 tournament in Trinidad and Tobago before the World Cup where the conditions will be altogether very different than in the subcontinent. Riyad however believed that it's important to play matches as much as possible no matter where you play it.
“I believe playing matches will help to build the momentum before the World Cup. We will also play warm-up matches in Sri Lanka and hopefully our preparation will be good,” said Riyad.

No comments:

Post a Comment