Saturday, August 18, 2012

Laxman retired from International Cricket


VVS Laxman has announced his retirement from international cricket with immediate effect, ending a 16-year career. Laxman, 37, had been included in India's squad for the home series against New Zealand starting next week but said he wouldn't be part of the series. 
"I would like to announce my retirement from international cricket with immediate effect," Laxman said. "I have always kept my country's success and need ahead of my personal aspirations. And while I would love contributing to the team's success, especially against England and Australia, I think this is the right time to give the youngsters a chance in home conditions ahead of international assignments.

"It was a tough decision to take, I have always listened to my inner conscience. I have always done that right through my career. There was a lot of debate in the last four days. I felt this is the right time to move on."
"Till last night I was unable to make up my mind, but in the end I listened to my inner voice and arrived at my decision to retire. I informed the chairman of selectors (Krishnamachari Srikkanth) this morning that I would not continue playing for India. I also spoke to many of my team-mates, they were surprised that I was retiring before the series. It was all very emotional."

No comments:

Post a Comment