Monday, February 25, 2013

Shakib's Injury gives two youngsters a chance in the Bangladesh Team


Talismanic Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan's absence from the Sri Lanka touring party is undoubtedly a blow, especially when playing a team that has a near-flawless record at home.

However, one man's loss is another man's gain and in this case, Shakib's status as a genuine all-rounder has brought about chances for two players -- left-handed batsman Mominul Haque and left-arm spinner Enamul Haque Jr.

Mominul is one of the bright prospects of the young brigade that came to the fore in the series against West Indies late last year. Having only featured in the ODI series, Sri Lanka will be Mominul's first Test tour.

Although delighted to have gotten the opportunity, Mominul acknowledged that Shakib's absence, through which he got his opportunity, was a definite blow. “Shakib's absence will always be a negative. He is a good player and has consistently performed, but we have to try our best to perform,” said Mominul. “Every player looks forward to the day when they can play Test cricket. I obviously was hoping to get a call and it feels really good. I am ready to bat in any position as long as I am in the team and I hope I can be amongst the runs.”

Enamul's story is a different one. The slow-left arm bowler played his last Test against the West Indies in 2009, and despite consistent performances in the domestic arena, has been restricted to the fringes ever since.

“It feels really good to have made the team finally, after three years. I had to fight really hard this time and I hope I can make it count,” Enamul told The Daily Star. “Ever since my last Test in 2009, I have learnt to enjoy cricket, no matter where I played and now that I am in the squad, the rest is up to how I perform,” he added.

The left-arm spinner echoed Mominul's views with regard to Shakib's absence. “Yes, it's true that his exclusion has given me the opportunity to make my mark, but it's quite obvious that his absence is a huge loss for the team. I never thought that he would be missing the tour. But now that I do have the opportunity, I want to make the most of it,” said Enamul.

No comments:

Post a Comment