Wednesday, September 12, 2012

We have our plans against Gayle says Ajantha Mendis

Why West Indies are the top ranked team in the upcoming World T-20 is that they have the biggest attraction in the shortest form of the game in Chris Gayle. The Jamaican has an outstanding record in T-20 cricket for both West Indies and his IPL franchise and one of the most looked forward to games during this year’s World T-20 is Sri Lanka’s fixture against West Indies at Pallekele on the 29th of September.
But Sri Lanka’s Ajantha Mendis is confident that his side can handle the towering Jamaican.
"West Indies is a big challenge and Chris Gayle is a big hitter. Whatever we plan if we execute we can overcome them. One thing that I have observed is that he (Gayle) is not a very good player of spin bowling on wickets that turn. I am pretty confident that we can put pressure on him on turning wickets. We can certainly control him on turning tracks," Mendis said.
Incidentally Mendis was part of the Sri Lankan side when Gayle smashed his career best 333 in the Galle Test two years ago. On that occasion, he hit nine sixes – six against Suraj Randiv and two against Mendis. It was Mendis, who eventually picked up Gayle’s wicket.
Prior to the tournament clash, Sri Lanka will take on West Indies in a warm-up game as well at NCC on Thursday and the battle between Mendis and Gayle will certainly be one to look forward to.
Mendis is returning to the side after a period of nine months as a back injury kept him out. He says that the lay-off has helped him to work on a few technical issues and that he is looking forward for the challenge.
"I struggled with my off-spin before I got injured. Because of the injury I had to change my action when I bowl the off-spin and now I bowl with a different action. I tried the off-spin during SLPL and it worked and I got wickets as well," he remarked.
Mendis’ rise in international cricket was stunning as he stormed into stardom during the Asia Cup four years ago. He feels that young sensation Akila Danajaya too is destined for similar fairytale.
"Akila is a very talented bowler. I hope he will have a good campaign. Both of our starts look the same. You don’t have to worry when you are led by a guy like Mahela. You can bowl without any worries. I think he is in good hands. When Mahela is the captain, he gives you attacking field settings and then the things he comes and says to you comes in very handy," Mendis noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment