Sunday, August 19, 2012

Michael Clarke buys $3.6 million property to build elite cricket academy


Michael Clarke and Kyly Clarke have bought a property in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales which they hope to convert into one of the world's elite cricket academies.
Clarke confirmed that he and wife Kyly had purchased a spectacular property near Berrima.
The Australia captain said buying the estate was the first step in realising a lifelong dream to found his own cricket academy that would educate youngsters in all facets of the game, including fitness, diet, technique and media skills.
While Clarke declined to discuss the purchase price of the property which already contains a private cricket oval - real estate sources confirmed it had recently been on the market for $3.65 million.
"I have dreamed about doing something like this all my life but because of my playing schedule I never had the time to act on it," Clarke said.
"Kyly has played a big part in turning this dream into a reality. Her experience in design and property management will help make this academy happen and I couldn't be happier about it.
"I'm at a stage of my career where I'm getting older and one day I'll retire or be dropped. This gives me a great opportunity for a job after my playing career is over, doing something I can be proud of."
Berrima's proximity to Bowral, the boyhood home of Don Bradman, was a major attraction for Clarke.
He envisages excursions to the recently refurbished International Cricket Hall of Fame being part of the holistic curriculum offered by his academy.
Clarke also plans to use the property to engage in pre-season boot camps, such as the one he undertook in Coffs Harbour before last summer's 4-0 Test series win over India.
"I remember going down to Bowral when I was a kid and walking in Don Bradman's footsteps," Clarke said.
"It's a big part of the reason why we chose this area.
"Berrima is also close enough to the city that it is easy to get to, but far enough away to feel like you're away from it all. And it will give me the opportunity to spend time away from the mobile, the computer and all the busy aspects of life and focus solely on my training."
Clarke expects the academy to be open for business within 12 to 24 months and will cater to local and overseas juniors. He has yet to discuss the project at length with Cricket Australia but insists he has no intention to compete against their Centre of Excellence in Brisbane.
"I want their input," he said. "It's my aim for this to work hand-in-hand with all Cricket Australia is doing.
"I would love for them to be associated with it."
The idea was inspired by Clarke's parents who operated an indoor sports centre in Sydney's south. But he credits Kyly, who he married in a private ceremony in May, with finding the property.
"It was a great thing for me as a kid having parents who operated a an indoor sports centre," he said. "I'd love them to be involved in this."




No comments:

Post a Comment