Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cricketers Popularity should not be sold - Arjuna Ranatunga


We were not people with  a lot of money, Still we did not surrender our popularity for advertisements Arjuna Ranathunga said to Sri Lanka Newspaper regarding Cricketers who posed in Advertisements.. 
My Father and Mother had clearly explained to me what is good and bad. When I appeared for my first Test match I was asked to appear for or two advertisements. What I received was a meagre sum of Rs 5000/- although I was promised Rs one lack However my mother told that “my son’s body and talent are not to be sold”. My Mother sternly advised me not to repeat it any more. Those days when I go to school my mother gives me Rs 2/-only for my pocket money. Just imagine what a lot of money is Rs one lack those days. It is something I could not believe. Since we were told and warned we never sold our talents and popularity for advertisements for money. We were compelled to stay away from advertisements.
All six brothers in the family who played cricket at the highest level did not crave for it particularly money. Our dear Mother paved the correct path for us. I posed for a MRI scanning and a POLIO advertisement very happily with my clear conscience. I never took money for them. From them I gained a lot of self satisfaction. If I requested Rs 10 to 15 lacks there would never have been any value in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment