Saturday, October 20, 2012

Tony Greig diagnosed with lung cancer


Tony Greig, the former England captain, has been diagnosed with a form of lung cancer. He will undergo biopsy in the week ahead to determine the extent of the disease, which will then determine the next course of treatment, as reported by the Herald Sun.

“I have had a few scrapes in my life and this is another one,” Greig was quoted as saying by The Sunday Telegraph. “(My wife) Vivian and I are going to put the boxing gloves on and fight this like we’ve never fought anything before.”


Greig was suffering from severe bouts of coughing since May, which was initially diagnosed to be bronchitis. After undergoing tests following his return from Sri Lanka where he worked as a television commentator at the World T20, a small malignant lesion in his right lung came to light. ”At this stage, the summer is totally up in the air. My priority, 100 percent, is my family. They will come first,” said Greig.

Greig is the second former international captain to be diagnosed with cancer this week, after Martin Crowe who has lymphoma, a cancer of the immune system.

No comments:

Post a Comment