Monday, September 3, 2012

Akila Dananjay speaks about life after playing SLPL

The recently concluded Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) was where Akila Dhananjaya was discovered as a spin bowler with much potential. He was drafted into the Sri Lanka squad for the World T20 tournament to be played in Sri Lanka. The Nation spoke to this 18-year-old to find out his reaction to what must be the greatest break he had in his young life.
Akila, shall we begin with how you got to know the good news of being selected to the national side?
I play for the Colts Cricket Club and a friend there was the first to give me the good news.

He said that the internet carried a news item about our squad for the T20 World Cup which included my name. I could not believe it then, I thought that story could not be correct. Then I called my elder brother and told him to check whether it was true. He called and said “yes your name is included.” That is how I came to know.
What did you feel deep in your heart at that moment?
It was most unexpected and at that moment to be informed of such thrilling news made me so delighted. My immediate feelings were that I must make the most of my selection to the squad if there is an opportunity of playing. I thought how I could get into shape and fine-tune my capabilities to meet the demands of the situations I would be facing.
Didn’t you think you would get the call to the national team when doing well in the SLPL?
No, but I had expectations that I would get the opportunity soon. I am amazed that I got that chance much earlier than expected.
What do you feel about playing for your country while still a schoolboy?
It has been my childhood dream that one day I will represent the national team. At the time my priority was cricket above even education. In my life sports was number one. I trained hard and now it has paid off due to my efforts. I am very happy and proud of that. I will not let go of this chance and will try to perform as I did in the SLPL or even better at T20 World Cup. That is what is in my mind now.

Akila, you are a novice in the national team, how did the seniors in the team accept you?
Many congratulated me. They accepted me happily. I know for sure that they will help me in the future.

What type of support did you receive from the seniors during the SLPL?
I learnt a lot in a short time on many things I did not know and gained much experience from it. Many seniors gave me tips on batsmen’s scoring areas and how to bowl to them.

During the SLPL you bowled sensationally well with a different style of spin bowling and everyone started to talk about you, what made you to do something special?
A bowler whether its spin or pace adopts a bowling style that suits him, and he has his own ideas on how to bowl. I try to get the maximum wickets in the shortest spell and give away the least amount of runs. That is my thinking and it is not really a different style of bowling.

If someone said you copied someone’s style?
I have not copied anyone. From my young days that is how I bowled. But, my hero is Muthiah Muralitharan - the number one bowler in the world. I have watched him bowling from my young days. I have compared my bowling with his and corrected myself. But I have not copied anyone.
During the T20 World Cup you will compete against experienced players of international calibre, will it be a challenge?
Yes, it will be challenging. But during the SLPL I played against international players and did well. Therefore there is no fear.

Almost all players at national level were honed on the school playground, was it the same for you?
I receive my education at Mahanama College, Panadura. When my elder brother was going for cricket practice I was eight years and used to tag along. During those days I used to bowl at my brother. The coach seeing me asked my mother to send me also for practice. I was then in year three. After sometime I got the chance to play under-13 cricket. Later I captained the U-13 team and went on to play U-15, U-17 and U19 cricket, captaining those teams also. I became an off-break bowler. It is my old coach and my school that inspired me and that is the truth.

You were unable to do your A’ levels this year due to cricket are you upset over that?
I am a little disappointed. If I did not make use of the opportunity I would not know when the next chance comes again. I hope to do the exam next year.

Didn’t your parents blame you for not giving priority to your studies because of sports?
Everyone knows that I do not concentrate that much on studies therefore my parents did not say anything. The teachers at school of course said that I should do both together. But they too know that I am good at cricket.

Are you the first cricketer to get into the national team from Mahanama College, Panadura?
Yes, and though many schools offered to take me my principal wasn’t keen to let me join them to play cricket and he refused. Even I was not too keen to go but hoped to get into the national side and bring glory to my school. Now that too has come true. The Principal, teachers and students are very fond of me. During the SLPL they were there to support me. I feel very fortunate to enjoy their affection and support and want to make them happy.

Akila, tell us something about your family?
My mother Jayalatha Fernando is a housewife and my father Sunil Perera is a carpenter. My elder brother is Sahan Dhanushka he is studying at the University of Kelaniya. Our only younger sister is Dhanushi Priyadharshini she is also a student.

Can you recall your early childhood days with your family?
It was a happy and wonderful time. We are a very close-knit family. When my brother used to go for sports events it was me who would be the first to rush out with him carrying his bag. My mother had always felt that I would be a good sportsman one day.  They all helped me to achieve it. I had no obstacles in my path. That is why I called it a wonderful experience.

What are your future plans?
Getting into the national squad was a very fortunate and a great thing for me, but to keep my place will be the real challenge. Therefore I will use every opportunity to learn and become a better cricketer. I believe I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment