Sunday, September 16, 2012

Glenn Maxwell Confident of performing in the highest level


Offspinner Glenn Maxwell is Australia's x-factor and possesses the all-round game to win matches single-handedly in the ICC World Twenty20.
That's what he reckons anyway and his on-field performances have so far backed up his soaring confidence levels.
The 23-year-old made his T20 International debut on September 5 against Pakistan and was playing pub cricket in England only a few weeks earlier, in between commitments for Hampshire.


"I'm very confident I can perform now at this level. Hopefully I can be that x-factor that Australia needs to win this tournament,'' Maxwell said on Sunday.
"I feel like I can become that x-factor in all three facets of the game and hopefully be that flair (player) that Australia really wants to see.
"I'm really embracing that 'x-factor' tag.
"I don't really have too many doubts, I don't think I'm going to try to back down any time soon either.''
It's a big call for someone who's played two T20 games for Australia and has a top score of 27.
But as Maxwell admits, he has never lacked in confidence.

Australia are yet to name a side for Monday's warm-up game against defending champions England, in their final tune-up for Wednesday's Group B clash with Ireland.
Maxwell would appear to have already done enough to earn his World T20 debut.
He says his unbeaten 56 to guide Australia to a three-wicket win in just his fourth one-day international game in the deciding clash of the series against Pakistan in Sharjah earlier this month was a breakthrough moment.
"When I got the boys over the line at the end, that gave me the confidence to do anything in the squad,'' he said.

"I feel like I can give Australia more runs at the top of the order rather than the bottom.

"Hopefully a hundred is not too far away and it comes in this tournament.''

After scoring four in his T20 debut for Australia at No.8 and being dropped for the second game of the series against Pakistan, skipper George Bailey promoted Maxwell to No.3 for the third match and the right-hander smashed 27 off 20 balls.

"I'm giving them that versatility, wherever they're going to bat me in the order,'' Maxwell says.

The recall of veteran David Hussey for the England game would put pressure on No.6 Cameron White or all-rounder Dan Christian to make way, while Clint McKay may struggle to hold his spot ahead of key pacemen Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins.

Maxwell says he's expecting England to be a strong unit with bat and ball even without controversial strokeplayer Kevin Pietersen, the 2010 World T20 player of the tournament.








No comments:

Post a Comment